You can get a root canal at Northwest Dental Group – and you may be surprised to find the procedure is surprisingly comfortable. Still, we understand you’d prefer to avoid spending the time and money on this treatment. Fortunately, keeping your teeth from becoming infected and avoiding root canal isn’t too hard.
Follow these tips:
- Don’t Skip Dental Exams – Regular exams are essential in preventing cavities, which can progress to infection if left untreated. Plus, exams can reveal tiny cracks and similar damage that make it easier for bacteria to get inside of your tooth. Our team also checks the condition of crowns and other restorations to make sure they’re still in good shape.
- Cut Down on Acidic Drinks – Substances like soda and energy drinks that combine sugar and acid are really bad for teeth. Acid changes the pH in your mouth, weakening tooth enamel and making it easier for cavities to form. Limit your consumption of these drinks as much as you can, and use a straw so they have less direct contact with teeth.
- Brush and Floss Daily – Remove food debris and bacteria from teeth by brushing at least twice a day and flossing once. If you can’t brush after consuming acidic foods or drinks, rinse your mouth with water or chew sugarless gum. These habits will help in avoiding root canal.
- Wear a Mouthguard During Sports – Bacteria can enter teeth through cracks and similar damage. So it’s a good idea to wear a mouthguard during sports to avoid dental injuries. In addition, ask us about a night guard to prevent teeth grinding and jaw clenching while you sleep. Both behaviors can also damage tooth enamel.
- Be Careful When Eating Certain Foods – Don’t bite down on ice or popcorn kernels, and be careful when eating hard candies and similar treats. Cut crunchy fruits and vegetables into smaller chunks before consuming. Use molars instead of teeth in the front of your mouth for heavy chewing.
- Don’t Delay Seeing a Dentist if You’re in Pain – If you have a toothache or other pain, call us right away. Early intervention can make the difference in avoiding root canal. With our extended hours and a dentist on call, we can usually see you the same day.
If you’ve damaged a tooth or you’re experiencing dental pain, Call Northwest Dental Group at 507-315-2932 ASAP to schedule your next appointment in Rochester, MN.