Dr. Post on Implants Dental implants are a great tooth replacement option, whether you need to replace a single tooth or are looking for a full-mouth reconstruction. They look, feel, and function just like your own teeth!
Thanks to our team of experienced Rochester, MN dentists, you have lots of choices for your dental implants. They can be combined with dental crowns, dental bridges or dentures. With careful placement, our dentists can even secure a full arch of replacement teeth with just a few dental implants.
To investigate all your dental implant options, call Northwest Dental Group at 507-216-6252.
The Dental Implant Basics
First the dental implant basics. What is a dental implant? It’s a tiny but strong titanium rod that our dentists implant in your jawbone.
The bone then grows around the implant, so it functions as a replacement tooth root! We’ll attach a connective piece called an abutment to your dental implant and then attach the restoration of your choice to the abutment.
Dental Implant Advantages
Dental implants offer many advantages over other tooth replacement options:
- Because dental implants are embedded in your jaw, you don’t have to worry about your teeth shifting or moving in your mouth. You’ll never need messy adhesives to keep your teeth in place!
- Dental implants won’t affect your surrounding teeth. We won’t have to modify your adjacent teeth, as we do for a dental bridge.
- Because a dental implant stimulates your jawbone much like your natural teeth, you will retain more bone density than with dentures.
- Their appearance and functionality is so similar to your natural teeth, you may forget you even have them! Your brushing and flossing routine won’t need to change, and you can enjoy all of your favorite foods!
Different Types of Dental Implants
Dental implants are incredibly versatile. Our Rochester, MN dentists will help you determine which type of dental implants are best for you!
- Conventional. Usually combined with dental crowns, these implants replace individual teeth.
- Mini dental implants. Smaller than conventional implants, mini implants are a good option for those who lack enough bone density for full-sized implants. They are often used to retain dentures.
- All-on-4® or All-on-6 implants. With careful placement, our Rochester, MN dentists can attach a full arch of fixed replacement teeth with either four or six implants.
- Implant-retained or implant-supported dentures. We can attach a partial or full replacement denture to your implants using a sturdy metal bar or ball-and-socket connectors.