Metal Or Plastic: Which Would You Prefer In Your Mouth?
It might sound like an odd question, but with orthodontic treatments, it’s an important one. Would you prefer to have hard metal in your mouth or softer plastic? Technically, you put metal in your mouth whenever you use a fork or spoon. But which would you rather have in your mouth for a long time?
Orthodontic treatments gently move your teeth so your smile looks even and aligned. This has to be done slowly so you don’t hurt your teeth or gums. In the past, the only choice you had was braces with metal brackets and wires. At our Rochester, MN dental office, we have a metal-free alternative: Invisalign “clear braces.”
How Does Invisalign Work?
Invisalign an orthodontic treatment that skips metal and wires. Instead, you get a series of clear plastic trays. These are worn over your teeth like mouthguards. However, they are shaped to gently move your teeth. Each one is slightly different, so by trading out new ones every few weeks, you move your teeth as if you had braces. You’ll visit with Dr. Post every so often to get new trays. She can also make sure you’re getting the results you want. Most importantly, you’ll get orthodontics without hard metal in your mouth.
How Do The Results Compare?
Traditional metal braces tend to do a better job of changing your bite. If you have a severe overbite, for example, you might be better off with regular braces. When it comes to making your smile even, however, Invisalign does as good a job as any orthodontic treatment. Whether you choose metal braces or Invisalign, you should get the same results with your smile. They also work the same no matter your age. You can get Invisalign for teens and adults.
How Invisalign Beats Metal Braces
If Invisalign and metal braces both give good results for your smile, why pick one over the other? Here are several reasons why Invisalign is a better choice for you.
- You are done faster: Because everyone’s smile is different, you cannot know exactly how long it will take to move your teeth. That said, metal braces typically take 2-3 years before you have the results you want. Invisalign can get the same results in half the time. Many can be finished in just 1 year.
- You won’t catch lips or cheeks on metal: Traditional braces use metal brackets and wires on the front of your teeth. That means it can easily catch on the inside of your cheeks and lips. You can get small cuts and even scars. Dental wax can help, but that’s yet another thing you have to buy and remember to use. Invisalign only uses plastic trays, so there’s nothing to catch on.
- Your teeth won’t get stained: Those metal brackets have to be cemented on your teeth. That’s because the wires will pull them to move your teeth. Since you are wearing these for 2-3 years or more, your teeth can get stained. Your smile might be even, but your teeth will look weird. Invisalign doesn’t use cement, so your teeth will stay the same color as they were.
- You can take them out as needed: Once metal braces are put in place, they stay there until the treatment is complete years later. You can’t move them or take them out for any reason. Since Invisalign uses a series of clear plastic trays, you can take them out whenever you want. Sure, you need to keep them in for most of the day, but it’s nice to know you can take them out if you want to.
- It’s easier to keep them clean: Food can easily get stuck in your metal braces. This increases your chances at getting cavities. You’ll have to use a small brush to help get out food stuck to your braces. That’s not true with Invisalign. You remove them when you eat so they won’t get covered in food and drink. Then you brush, and they go back in. You can also clean your Invisalign trays with a toothbrush and water if necessary.
- Invisalign is practically invisible: Braces will forever be linked to teenagers. That’s when most people get orthodontics. If you get metal braces as an adult, you will look unusual. It can be embarrassing showing off “brace face” at a meeting or family picnic. Again, you’ll be wearing those brackets and wires for 2-3 years. Invisalign is drastically different.
Invisalign saves you time, pain, and effort. It also gives you a great-looking, even smile. To learn more about Invisalign clear plastic trays, or to schedule your next appointment with Dr. Post, call us today at 507-216-6252.