Dry mouth is uncomfortable and often causes embarrassing bad breath. Worse, it can lead to more cavities and gum disease. Since saliva is a natural cavity fighter, you’re more prone to dental problems if you don’t have enough of it. The condition is especially common in the summer, when many of us lose more moisture through perspiration.
Try our tips to soothe dry mouth:
- Drink More Water – You should consume 8-10 glasses of water a day. That may sound like a lot, but it’s easier than you think! You can get some of it from milk and juice and even from foods that contain lots of water, like fresh fruit.
- Check Chlorine Levels in the Pool – Chlorine dries the mouth. If you swim a lot, check the chlorine levels in the pool. Keep a container of water nearby, so you can easily stay hydrated.
- Consume Fewer Diuretics – Coffee, tea, and soda are all diuretics – meaning they cause your body to excrete more water. Limit your intake of them as much as possible. Don’t drink them with meals and aim to make them no more than an occasional treat.
- Add Moisture to the Air – Consider running a humidifier during the night to help keep your mouth from drying out during sleep.
- Change Your Mouthwash – Alcohol-based mouthwashes can aggravate dry mouth. Use products that don’t contain alcohol. The best choices are mouthwashes that contain xylitol, a substance that spurs saliva production.
- Chew Sugarless Gum – Chewing sugarless gum or sucking on sugarless hard candy can stimulate saliva production. Again, products containing xylitol are a good choice.
If dry mouth is still bothering you even after you try our tips, visit one of our offices. Our dentists can help identify underlying causes and suggest products to relieve your discomfort. Call Northwest Dental Group today at 507-315-2932 to schedule your next appointment in Rochester, MN.